Here's the Recap:
Line eleven of the Master Coach Manifesto: "A Master Coach listens beyond words and asks layered upon layered questions to get to the heart of the matter, working within the flow of what's happening now."
We’ve all heard of open-ended versus close-ended questions, yet do you use them to their fullest potential? In this episode I will show you when and how to use open-ended versus close-ended questions.
Plus, I share roleplays throughout giving you examples of layered questions as well as how to move your client from their limited thinking to possibility thinking.
One of the most important MCM episodes.
Listen to the episode to find out more…
Moments You Don't Want to Miss!
- 8:24 – Question of the Day: "Rhonda, you make a distinction between two types of questions: closed-ended, which evoke a 'yes' or 'no' response or a one-word short response, versus open-ended questions, which are meant to get the client thinking and talking more. Is there a right time or a better time to use each? What are a few of your favorite common questions that I can practice as a coach?"
- 9:30 – Open versus closed ended questions
- 10:15 – Roleplay: Open-ended questions
- 12:05 – Here’s the reason to practice layered questions
- 12:22 – Your client needs to believe they’re okay
- 13:00 – Roleplay: Close-ended questions
- 13:38 – Close-ended questions provide clarity
- 14:10 – Do not do this when you’re coaching
- 15:10 – When you’re client won’t accept congratulations
- 15:48 – You're always pulling strings of the lie and looking for where your client did do something
- 17:10 – How and when you as the Coach take ownership
- 18:50 – Sequence of moving a client forward
- 19:51 – The flow of a coaching session is in the moment
- 20:22 – How to expand and anchor your clients insights
- 23:02 – Layered questions help the client have an insight, embody that insight, and build on that insight. It helps them build momentum and confidence.
- 23:28 – How often should you work with a coaching client?
- 24:35 – Tip of the Day: Record your coaching sessions
- 25:30 – If you’re having this dialogue in your head while coaching…
- 26:41 – Learning how to ask layered questions is critical for your confidence